Monday 19 September 2011

Simple Speedy Spelt Bread

This recipe is from The Daily Telegraph's website. I must admit I was a bit sceptical of the lack of kneading and rising time, but I'm happy to report, it works. They say that if you leave it to rise overnight it'l be even better, so I'll defo be giving that a go next time. The original recipe is slightly different, for one it's jam packed with seeds, which I didn't have, I also didn't need quite as much water as they specified, and I added a bit of olive oil as I like the crispness it gives to the crust, so if you fancy perusing the original recipe, check out the link above. I also don't have a loaf tin, so the dough was flopped out onto a roasting pan, which wasn't ideal, as it's quite a wet dough, a hence became quite a flat loaf. Still tasted good though.

Ingredients
1lb 2oz/500g spelt flour
2 sachets/10g fast-acting dried yeast 
½ tsp sea salt
14floz/400ml warm water
1 tablespoon of olive oil

Method
Preheat the oven to 200oC (GM6).
Combine the dry bits in a large bowl. Add the water and mix well. Work in the olive oil. 
Turn out into a greased loaf tin.
Put straight into the oven and bake for 1 hour.
Remove from the tin and bake for a further 5-10 mins.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for half an hour before spreading thickly with Unearthed Pork Rillettes, (currently on offer at Waitrose) or blackcurrant jam, or whatever else you fancy... yumyumyum :).

No comments:

Post a Comment